ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop Quick Start Guide
Table of Contents
- Prior to installing, review the ArcGIS for Desktop System Requirements.
- Note: The Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is required to install ArcGIS for Desktop. The Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 setup can be downloaded from Microsoft.
Download, extract, and install ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop (Basic, Standard, Advanced)
- Make sure you have write access to your download directory location as well as your ArcGIS installation directory location, and that no one is accessing it.
- Existing users previous to ArcGIS 10.1: Use the ArcGIS Uninstall Utility, available on the Esri Customer Care Portal, to locate and automatically remove previous ArcGIS 9.x or 10.x products that are installed on your machine.
- Click on the product's download link on Esri's Customer Care Portal.
- Recommended: Use the Esri Download Manager to manage your 10.1 downloads.Caution:
When downloading with the Esri Download Manager, you can select and download multiple products. However, only one product should be started at a time when the downloads are complete.
- The first panel of the extraction wizard will allow you to indicate the location on your computer to which you would like the installation files extracted. When satisfied, click OK.Note:
If you choose to change the destination location when starting the .exe (either from the Launch option in the Esri Download Manager or running the downloaded self-extracting .exe manually), be sure to choose a unique location to extract the files.
- You will be notified when the file extraction is complete. To automatically install the software, leave the Launch the setup program check box on the final panel of the extraction wizard checked. To install the software at a later time, uncheck the check box. You can install the software at any time by browsing to the product's extracted location and running the setup.exe.Note:
Administrative privileges will be required for installing the ArcGIS software product. If you do not have the necessary privileges, an administrator on your system can install the software by running the setup.exe at the product's extracted location.
- For help with installing ArcGIS for Desktop, see the ArcGIS for Desktop Installation Guide.
Upgrade ArcGIS 10.0 Single Use licenses to 10.1
For existing ArcGIS 10.0 users, automatic license upgrade functionality has been introduced at ArcGIS 10.1 which allows for a much easier license upgrade process. Instead of deauthorizing older licenses and authorizing the latest version, users can convert their existing 10.0 licenses to 10.1 using the one-step upgrade option.
- Uninstall ArcGIS 10.0 Desktop without deauthorizing your existing licenses.
- Install ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop.
- On completion of the ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop installation, you will be automatically prompted to upgrade your licenses if 10.0 licenses are already present. Follow the instructions to complete the upgrade process.
Authorize ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop
ArcGIS 10.1 software requires 10.1 authorization numbers which can be obtained from the Authorization and Provisioning page on the Esri Customer Care Portal. The copy protection mechanism for ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop and ArcGIS 10.1 Engine Concurrent Use product lines has been updated to use the FlexNet Publisher v11.10 software. This update requires that ArcGIS 10.1 License Manager is installed for Concurrent Use licenses.
ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop can be authorized by single use licenses, or by connecting to a License Manager which is authorized with 10.1 concurrent use licenses. See the ArcGIS 10.1 License Manager Quick Start Guide for more information on setting up a License Manager.
Authorize ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop Single Use
- Recommended: Use an Internet connection to complete the authorization steps below.
- If you do not have an Internet connection for the machine on which you intend to install the software, you can authorize the software via email or via the Esri Customer Care site.
- If you want to facilitate the authorization process or authorize silently, a provisioning file generated from the Authorizing and Provisioning portal of the Esri Customer Care site can be used.
- After the installation, select the desired single use product in the ArcGIS Administrator wizard.
- Click Authorize Now.
- Select the default option I have installed my software and need to authorize it.
- Select Authorize with ESRI now using the Internet. If using a provisioning file, select the option I have received an authorization file from ESRI and browse to the file.
- Enter your personal information where applicable.
- Enter your core product authorization number (ESU xxxxxxxxx). See the Authorization and Provisioning page on the Esri Customer Care Portal to obtain it if this number is unavailable.
- Enter the authorization numbers for extensions if applicable. For extensions not listed, manually type the extension name then the authorization number.
- Click Finish after the authorization process is complete.
- Click OK to close ArcGIS Administrator. Your software is now ready for use.
Authorizing additional extensions for ArcGIS 10.1 Desktop Single Use
This applies if you have already authorized your ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop Single Use software and wish to authorize additional extensions later. Follow the steps for Authorizing ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop Single Use, and at step 3, select I have already authorized the software and need to authorize additional extensions. Step 6 will not be applicable. At step 7, you will be given the opportunity to enter your authorization numbers for the applicable extensions.
Authorize ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop Concurrent Use
Defining the license manager
- After the installation, select the desired concurrent-use product in the ArcGIS Administrator wizard and specify the name of your license manager.
- Once you have set your license manager, click OK to close the ArcGIS Administrator wizard. Your software is now ready for use.
Borrowing and returning licenses
If you need to work while away from your network, you can borrow the core product and any necessary extensions currently available on your license manager. The default borrow time-out is 30 days. Contact your license administrator to modify this time-out date.
- After installing the software and defining the license manager, open ArcGIS Administrator from Start > Programs > ArcGIS > ArcGIS Administrator.
- Select the Desktop product folder from the table of contents and make sure the product you want to borrow is selected.
- Click the Borrow/Return folder, check the boxes next to the features you want to borrow, then click Apply.
- Once the features have been borrowed, click OK to close ArcGIS Administrator.
- To return licenses to the license manager before the time-out, reconnect to your network and open ArcGIS Administrator by clicking Start > Programs > ArcGIS > ArcGIS Administrator.
- Click the Borrow/Return folder.
- Uncheck the boxes next to the features you have borrowed and click Apply.
- Click OK to close ArcGIS Administrator.
If you have not returned your licenses before they expire, they will automatically be disabled on your machine after the expiration date and returned to the license manager.
More information about ArcGIS
More information and assistance for ArcGIS products are available via the ArcGIS Resource Center. Use the Resource Centers website as your portal to ArcGIS resources, such as finding out what's new at the ArcGIS 10.1 release, help, forums, blogs, downloads, samples, and knowledge base articles.
Your Esri office or distributor provides support of ArcGIS 10.1. For your Esri office or distributor's contact information, please visit http://support.esri.com/en/phoneSupport.