ArcGIS Explorer Desktop (build 500) system requirements
Table of contents
Supported operating systems
Supported Operating System
Minimum OS Version
Maximum OS Version
Windows 2000 (32-bit) Professional
Windows Server 2003 (32-bit) Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter
Windows Vista (32-bit) Ultimate, Enteprise, Business, Home Premium
Windows XP (32-bit) Professional Edition
- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or equivalent must be installed prior to installing ArcGIS Explorer Desktop.
- Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.0 Service Pack 2 must be installed prior to installing ArcGIS Explorer Desktop.
- Some features of ArcGIS Explorer Desktop require a minimum installation of Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 6.0 or 7.0. If you do not have an installation of Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6.0/7.0, you must obtain and install it prior to installing ArcGIS Explorer Desktop.
1.6 GHz recommended or higher
Intel Core Duo, Pentium 4 or Xeon Processors
1 GB minimum, 2 GB or higher recommended
24 bit color depth
1024 x 768 or higher recommended at normal size (96dpi)
Determined by the operating system, 500 MB minimum
ArcGIS Explorer Desktop will create cache files when used; additional disk space may be required.
Bandwidth Connection Speed
Minimum 380 Kbps, 1500 Kbps or higher recommended
24-bit capable graphics accelerator
An OpenGL 2.0 or higher compliant video card is required, with at least 32 MB video memory, however 64 MB of video memory or higher is recommended.
The following graphics cards and driver combinations were tested on Windows Vista SP1:
Developer (SDK) requirements
Esri supports and recommends the following integrated development environments (IDE) for use with ArcGIS Explorer Desktop SDK:
ArcGIS Explorer Desktop SDK for the Microsoft .NET Framework
Visual Studio 2005 Visual Basic Express
Visual Studio 2005 Visual C# Express
Visual Studio 2005 (C#, VB.NET) Standard, Professional (Note: For Windows Vista, Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 with Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 Update for Windows Vista is required.)
Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Visual Basic Express
Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Visual C# Express
Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (C#, VB.NET) Standard, Professional
ArcGIS Explorer Desktop is required to install ArcGIS Explorer Desktop SDK for the Microsoft .NET Framework.
ArcGIS Explorer Desktop must be installed with Administrative Privileges for All Users for correct SDK installation.
ArcGIS Explorer Home requirements
- Internet Information Services (IIS) - required for the ArcGIS Explorer Home Setup
- If you are not using IIS and are an ArcGIS Server for the Java Platform user, obtain the updated ArcGIS Explorer Home Server files.