Setting up the Street Placement style Spread words parameter
- Ensure that you have the Maplex Label Engine enabled and that you have specified the Street Placement style for labeling.
- Click the Label Manager button on the Labeling toolbar.
- Check the box next to the layer you want to label.
- Choose a label class under the layer.
- Click the Properties button.
- Click the Label Position tab.
- Check the Spread words check box.
- Click the Options button to open the Word Spacing dialog box.
- Optionally, type a value for Maximum word spacing. This is measured as a percentage of the average width of a character in the font. A value of 600 places six character spaces between the words in the label.
- Optionally, change the Default word spacing through the text symbol.
- Click OK to close all dialog boxes.
If the Spread words check box is unavailable, you will need to choose Street Placement from the line label placement style drop-down list. The Spread words option is only available for label classes that are placed with Street Placement.
If you accept the special default value of 0, the words in the label are spread evenly across the length of the street feature.