Orienting point labels to graticules
Using the Maplex Label Engine to align horizontal labels to a graticule rotates all horizontal labels for a particular label class to a tangential line along the graticule for the data frame. To have your labels align with the graticule lines, the data frame must be set to a projected coordinate system. There are four graticule alignment types to choose from:
- Straight (no flip)
- Curved (no flip)
The Straight and Curved options place the label in alignment with the graticule and orient it to the page. The Straight (no flip) and Curved (no flip) options allow the label to be drawn upside down to align with the graticule.
The image below shows point labels oriented to graticules.
- Enable the Maplex Label Engine.
- Click the Label Manager button on the Labeling toolbar.
- Check the check box next to the layer you want to label.
- Choose a label class under the layer.
- Click the Properties button.
- Click the Label Position tab.
- Click the Orientation button.
Check the Align horizontal labels to graticule check box.
If the data is not in projected coordinates, the labels will not align. They will remain in their original position.
- Click the Graticule alignment type drop-down arrow and choose a graticule alignment type.
- Click OK to close all dialog boxes.