Portal for ArcGIS system requirements
The latest system specifications, including hardware requirements and supported operating systems required to install and use Portal for ArcGIS, are available on the ArcGIS Resources website.
Supported operating systems
The Portal for ArcGIS setup will only proceed if the operating system is 64-bit; 32-bit operating systems are not supported. The operating systems listed below satisfy the minimum requirements:
Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 are supported at 10.2.1 and later versions. These are not supported at 10.2.
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and Datacenter
- Windows Server 2012 Standard and Datacenter
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter (maximum version supported is SP1)
- Windows Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter (maximum version supported is SP2)
- Windows 8.1 Professional and Enterprise
- Windows 8 Professional and Enterprise
- Windows 7 Ultimate, Enterprise, and Professional
Windows 8.1, 8, and 7 are supported for basic testing and application development use only. They are not recommended for deployment in a production environment.
- Processor: 4 cores for 100 concurrent users
- Memory/RAM: 4 GB or more
- Disk space: To accommodate the data and items uploaded to your portal, it's recommended that you allocate at least 50 GB of disk space. Large organizations with many portal users may require well over 50 GB.
Supported web browsers
For the best performance, use one of the browser and operating system combinations listed in the table below. Some of the common clients of Portal for ArcGIS have differing requirements. See their documentation for details.
Internet Explorer 11 is supported at 10.2.1 and later versions. This browser is not supported at 10.2.
Android 3.0 and higher
Firefox latest version
Google Chrome latest version
Safari latest version
Internet Explorer 9, 10, 11
Internet Explorer 7 and 8
Default Android browser
Limitations of using Internet Explorer 7 and 8
For the best performance, you should use the latest version of Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, or Internet Explorer. You can use Internet Explorer 7 and 8, but they have the following limitations:
- You cannot drag and drop files onto the map.
- When importing data from a file, only the first 750 rows of features are displayed (compared with 1,000 rows for fully supported browsers).
- When opening maps with lots of features, you may see a long-running script error message.
- When leaving the map viewer window without saving, you may lose your work.
Portal for ArcGIS communicates on ports 7080, 7443, 7005, 7099, 7199, and 7654. You'll need to open these ports on your firewall before installing the software. For more information, see Ports used by Portal for ArcGIS.
If you'll be using Esri-provided services, such as basemaps and data from ArcGIS Online, the machine hosting Portal for ArcGIS will need access to the Internet. If your portal will not have access to the Internet, you'll need to perform some additional configuration steps to ensure your portal is pointing to local resources. For instructions, see Configuring a disconnected deployment.
Portal for ArcGIS authorization
Portal for ArcGIS requires authorization. For more information, see Authorizing Portal for ArcGIS.