Inserting the TLM Meter Reference Guide element (Defense Mapping)
The TLM Meter Reference Guide element provides a set of instructions and examples that enable you to compose standard grid references. It also contains diagrams for identifying the grid zone and grid square designations within the map sheet. The meter reference guide properties are designed to update based on the associated data frame's coordinate system.
Once inserted, double-clicking Meter Reference Guide allows you to access the Meter Reference Guide Properties dialog box. The Update Dynamically check box on the Meter Reference Guide Properties dialog box is checked by default. When the Update Dynamically check box is checked, and the associated data frame is set to a projected WGS 1984 UTM Zone coordinate system, the properties for the 100,000 M. Square Identification and Grid Zone Designation are automatically populated. Unchecking the Update Dynamically check box allows you to modify the settings, including the grid zone reference number in the Grid Zone Designation area. The grid zone designation is the UTM zone and letter associated with the latitude.
By default, the color for a TLM meter reference guide is black; however, it can be changed in the Appearance area of the Meter Reference Guide tab on the Meter Reference Guide Properties dialog box.
When inserting a meter reference guide, a red box is displayed when one of the following occur:
- The scale is smaller than 300,000.
- The coordinate system is unknown.
- The Update Dynamically check box is checked and you attempt to input an incorrect scenario.
- Start ArcMap.
- Verify that the map is in layout view.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Defense Mapping.
On the Defense Mapping toolbar, click Defense Mapping > Surround Elements > TLM Meter Reference Guide.
A meter reference guide is displayed in the map layout.
Double-click the meter reference guide.
The Meter Reference Guide Properties dialog box appears.
- Click the Meter Reference Guide tab.
Uncheck the Update Dynamically check box.
The Layout and Grid Reference Box (divided into 100,000-Square and Grid Zone Designation) areas become available.
- Click the TLM option in the Layout area, if necessary.
Click one of the following options in the 100,000-Square Identification area:
- Single—This option allows you to enter a single location identifier in the 100,000-Square Identification text box.
- Multiple—This option displays multiple 100,000-Square Identification text boxes for defining additional location identifiers.
- Dual Grid—This option allows you to enter location identifiers across multiple UTM zones.
- Type or modify the location identifier or identifiers in the 100,000-Square Identification text box or boxes.
Click one of the following options for the grid zone designation:
- Single—This option allows you to enter a single grid zone designation in the Grid Zone Designation text box.
- Multiple—This option displays multiple Grid Zone Designation text boxes for defining additional UTM grid zone designators.
Verify the Grid Zone Designation text box is populated correctly.
If not, edit to reflect the correct zone.
Click Color in the Appearance area to select the color for your Meter Reference Guide.
The default color is black.
The TLM Meter Reference Guide element is generated.