Adding a new grid (Aviation)
This process describes how to manually construct a grid. Before you start, review the Grid Properties topic.
Grids reside in feature datasets. You must choose an existing feature dataset. The Grids and Graticules Designer creates all required feature classes within that feature dataset.
You must provide a geographic extent (area of interest) before a grid can be created as features. If you are using the Grids and Graticules Designer, the area of interest must be a selected polygon in your current ArcMap session.
- Start ArcMap.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Cartography.
- Click the Grids and Graticules Designer window button on the Production Cartography toolbar.
The Grids and Graticules Designer window appears.
Add a new grid to the Grids and Graticules Designer window by doing one of the following:
- Right-click in the window and click Add > Grid.
- Click the New Grid button on the Grids and Graticules Designer window.
Click the Set Feature Dataset button on the Grids and Graticules Designer window.
The Dataset Location for Grid dialog box appears.
- Browse to an existing dataset and click OK.
Right-click on the new grid and click Properties.
The Properties tab appears.
- Type a grid name in the Type text box.
- Type a description in the Description text box.
Click the Type drop-down arrow in the Primary Coordinate Systems area and choose a coordinate system type.
- Fixed—The coordinate system set in the Grids and Graticules Designer will be the default coordinate system that displays in the Make Grids And Graticules Layer geoprocessing tool.
- Calculate UTM Zone—The coordinate system chosen will be a UTM projection based on the extent specified. The base geographic coordinate system will also adjust to ensure that it matches the geographic coordinate system used by the AOI.
- Calculate Central Meridian and Parallels—A base coordinate system must be specified in the Grids and Graticules Designer, and it must be a projection that has at least one meridian or parallel property, or both. When the .xml and the extent are specified in the Make Grids And Graticules Layer geoprocessing tool, the base project will have meridians and parallels updated to divide the extent evenly.
- Use Environment—The coordinate system from the active environment is used when running the Make Grids And Graticules Layer geoprocessing tool.
- Coordinate System Zones—The coordinate system is determined from polygon feature classes loaded in the Coordinate System Zones area. This is displayed as Use <feature class name> in the Type drop-down list.
- If necessary, choose a coordinate system by clicking the Spatial Reference Properties button .
- Click the Feature Settings tab.
- Set the reference scale.
- Set the rotation.
- If necessary, check the Auto set feature origin to the lower left check box.
- If necessary, set a value for the XY tolerance parameter.
- If necessary, check the Clip to shape check box and choose a neatline option from the Data frame clip to shape neatline list.
- Click the Clip Neatline drop-down arrow and choose a neatline to use.
- Optionally, set representation preferences by clicking the Representation Preference button.