What is ArcGIS for Maritime: Bathymetry (Bathymetry Solution)
ArcGIS for Maritime: Bathymetry is an ArcGIS for Desktop component for managing post-processed bathymetric data and metadata. The product manages gridded data from a central geodatabase, referred to as the Bathymetric Information System, or BIS. You can leverage the BIS to interact with and manage large volumes of raster data and selected soundings on an ArcGIS for Desktop platform.
The Bathymetry Solution allows you to manage your bathymetric raster data, stored locally or on a shared network drive, which is resourced to create a composite surface model. This composite surface model can be used as a source to create 3D point data for navigational products, spatially analyze the surface with the ArcGIS Spatial Analyst extension, or share content over the web as an image service.
Before the bathymetric raster data is managed by the BIS geodatabase, you can define additional metadata items and assign them to each dataset to be managed by the system. Querying filters can be defined based on the metadata values, which are used to identify the specific datasets you need to include in the surface model. Sorting rules, also based on the metadata values, can be configured to determine the dataset rendering order in the composite surface model. Finally, the composite surface model is stored in a workspace of your choice and can be referenced in any of the geoprocessing tools or shared over the web as an image service.
Raster data management
- Reference externally stored raster data from a mosaic dataset, eliminating the need to duplicate raster data storage between a geodatabase and a file system.
- Manage survey metadata and ancillary information about the hydrographic survey, such as survey area, data collection equipment, survey vessel, tidal adjustment reports, sound velocity cast reports, survey logs, and other supporting information. Metadata is completely configurable to fit any information an organization captures.
- Capture metadata for surveys, raster data (.BAG files), and any metadata.
Point data management
Extract points from the BIS geodatabase that are linked to their original datasets, simplifying point management.
Data querying and sorting
- Filter and visualize raster data within ArcMap using the Explore Bathymetry window.
- Generate custom surfaces interactively from rasters using combinations of attribute or spatial filters within the Build Surface dialog box.
- Prioritize the display of information from rasters to display—newest or most accurate data—for example, at the top of the surface in areas of overlap.