The system specifications, including hardware requirements, supported operating systems, and web servers, that are required to run ArcGIS for Server are available at ArcGIS for Server system requirements.
Supported operating systems
Support will no longer be provided for 32-bit operating systems. The ArcGIS for Server setup will only proceed if the operating system is 64 bit.
The 64-bit operating systems below satisfy the minimum operating system requirements:
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and Datacenter
- Windows Server 2012 Standard and Datacenter
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter
- Windows Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter
- Windows 8.1 Professional and Enterprise
- Windows 8 Professional and Enterprise
- Windows 7 Ultimate, Enterprise, and Professional
Windows 8.1, 8, and 7 are supported for basic testing and application development use only. They are not recommended for deployment in a production environment.
Disk space requirements
ArcGIS for Server requires a minimum of 2,000 MB of available disk space, in which 350 MB of this total space must be available on the system drive.
Additional system requirements
- Machines with an underscore (_) in their names are not supported. Several widely used Internet host name specifications have designated the underscore character as nonstandard. Although Windows allows you to use the underscore in a machine name, it can still cause problems when you interact with other servers and platforms. For this reason, ArcGIS for Server will not proceed with installation on servers that have an underscore in the host name.
- ArcGIS for Server is not supported on domain controllers. Installing ArcGIS for Server on a domain controller may adversely affect functionality.
ArcGIS for Server uses certain ports to communicate with machines on the Internet and intranet. For more information, see Ports used by ArcGIS for Server.
Microsoft .NET Framework requirement for .NET Extension Support feature
The .NET Extension Support feature requires Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (SP1). If Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is not found, the .NET Extension Support feature will not be available for installation. Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is available on the ArcGIS for Server media. It is also available for download from the Microsoft website. However, on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 must be installed using Windows Features. Follow the instructions below to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2:
Click Start > Control Panel > Programs > Turn Windows Features on or off. Enable and install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.
Windows Server 2008 R2
Click Server Manager > Features > Add Features. Enable and install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.
Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6
ArcGIS for Server requires Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6. The ArcGIS for Server installation will not proceed if MSXML 6 is not found on the machine. If the ArcGIS for Server installation is performed through the GUI, the installation process automatically installs it for you. If you are installing ArcGIS for Server silently or in certain deployment environments, MSXML 6 must be installed separately. The MSXML 6 setup is available at <ArcGIS for Server Installation folder>\Support\MSXML6\64-bit\msxml6_x64.msi.
ArcGIS for Server geoprocessing requirements
Python 2.7.5, Numerical Python 1.7.1, and Matplotlib 1.3.0 are required to support certain core geoprocessing tools. It is recommended that Python 2.7.5, Numerical Python 1.7.1, and Matplotlib 1.3.0 are installed by the ArcGIS for Server setup. If Python 2.7.5 and Numerical Python 1.7.1 are not detected, the ArcGIS for Server setup will automatically install them.
Web browser requirements
ArcGIS Server Manager requires one of the following web browsers to be installed:
- Google Chrome (version 10 or later)
- Mozilla Firefox (version 10 or later)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (version 8, 9, 10, or 11)
It is recommended that you use ArcGIS Server Manager in either a Firefox, Chrome, or Internet Explorer 9, 10, or 11 browser for the best possible user experience. Using Internet Explorer 8 may result in a lower quality display of ArcGIS Server Manager.
Interaction between ArcGIS for Server and ArcGIS products before 10.2.2
If the following products are installed on your machine and are a version earlier than 10.2.2, they must be uninstalled before proceeding with the ArcGIS for Server setup:
- ArcGIS Desktop
- ArcInfo Workstation
- ArcReader stand-alone
- ArcIMS Web ADF for the Java Platform
- ArcIMS Web ADF for the .NET Framework
- ArcGIS Server for the Java Platform
- ArcGIS Server for the .NET Framework
- ArcGIS Server Web ADF Runtime for the .NET Framework
- ArcGIS Engine Runtime
- ArcGIS Engine Developer Kits
- ArcGIS Desktop Developer Kits
- ArcGIS Image Server (including all clients)
The ArcGIS for Server setup displays a dialog box if conflicting versions of these products exist on your machine. If so, you must uninstall these products and run the ArcGIS for Server setup again to proceed with your installation.
These products can exist together on the same machine if they are all version 10.2.2.