Configuring ArcGIS Online
ArcGIS for SharePoint can be configured to point to Portal for ArcGIS or ArcGIS Online. Portal for ArcGIS provides you with the same collaboration and sharing tools as ArcGIS Online but differs in where it's hosted and what content is available to users. Portal for ArcGIS can be deployed behind your organization's firewall, or a private instance can be hosted and managed by Esri for your organization.
ArcGIS for SharePoint uses the endpoint specified (either Portal for ArcGIS or ArcGIS Online) to populate the Map Center and determine the appropriate location for the search functionality. If you specify a Portal for ArcGIS endpoint in the configuration file, the Map Center is populated with maps contained in the portal and the search functionality searches the portal endpoint instead of searching ArcGIS Online.
Editing the endpoint
The ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS endpoint used by ArcGIS for SharePoint is specified by the ArcGISOnline.xml configuration file. The configuration file points to ArcGIS Online by default. To edit the endpoint used by ArcGIS for SharePoint, complete the following steps. When you edit the endpoint, this change will apply to all Map Web Parts within the site collection containing the file you are editing.
- Click the Site Actions drop-down menu and click View All Site Content.
- Under the Document Libraries heading, click the ArcGIS Mapping Configuration Files link.The document library opens and displays the available configuration files as shown in the following screen shot:
- Check the check box next to the ArcGISOnline item.
- Click the Documents tab on the ribbon and click Edit Document (check out the document if necessary).
- Click OK if the Open Document warning is displayed. The ArcGISOnline.xml file opens in your default XML editor.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <Configuration> <Sharing>http://www.arcgis.com/sharing/</Sharing> <Secure>https://www.arcgis.com/sharing/</Secure> <ProxyServer></ProxyServer> <ProxyServerEncoded></ProxyServerEncoded> </Configuration>
- Enter the appropriate information and save the file.
- Check the file back in to the ArcGIS Mapping Configuration Files library.
The Sharing and Secure tags allow you to specify Portal for ArcGIS locations. The ProxyServer and ProxyServerEncoded tags allow you to specify a proxy page for use with ArcGIS Online to open secure web maps or secure services added through the Search. The ProxyServer tag is for a proxy page that does not expect the query string to be encoded. The ProxyServerEncoded tag decodes the query string. Use both proxy server tags when specifying a proxy page, but note that they can be set to the same page provided it decodes the query parameter. For information on creating a proxy page, see Configuring a proxy.