Symbol galleries define the sets of symbols available for you to apply to layers. ArcGIS for SharePoint provides a number of galleries containing many symbols by default. Additionally, you can add new galleries and remove or modify existing ones. For further information, see Configuring symbols. The easiest way to explore the existing symbol galleries is to either click the Symbol button on the ribbon or open the Scheme Options dialog box for a layer. Information on exploring symbol galleries and selecting a symbol is provided in this topic.
Exploring symbol galleries
In the ArcGIS Map Web Part, symbol galleries are made available on the Symbol drop-down menu and the Scheme Options dialog box. The active location depends on the type of renderer specified for the selected layer. Steps for accessing the symbols for the different renderer types are as follows:
- When a single symbol renderer is being used, you can access the symbols from the Symbols tab. Click the Symbol button on the Symbols tab of the ArcGIS Map Web Part ribbon. The symbols in the first symbol gallery are displayed. To choose a different symbol gallery, click the drop-down menu above the symbols:
- When a class breaks or unique values renderer is being used, the symbols are available on the Scheme Options dialog box:
- Click the Scheme Options button on the Symbols tab of the ribbon:The Scheme Options dialog box appears:
- Click the symbol to the left or the arrow to the right of one of the group values:Symbols for the first symbol gallery are displayed.
- To view the symbols defined by other symbol galleries, expand the drop-down menu for the symbols:
- Click the Scheme Options button on the Symbols tab of the ribbon:
Selecting a symbol
Once you know where to access symbol galleries and symbols, specifying a symbol is straightforward and accomplished with the following steps:
- Choose the layer to specify a symbol for from the Map Contents panel.
- If the layer is rendered using a single symbol, click the Symbol button on the ribbon. If the layer is rendered using a class breaks or unique values renderer, expand the symbol drop-down menu for the desired class or value on the Scheme Options dialog box. See steps 1–3 in the previous section for details.
- Choose the desired symbol gallery:
- Choose the symbol to apply to the layer, class, or value:
- Use the controls on the ribbon (single symbol renderer) or the Scheme Options dialog box (class breaks or unique value renderers) to modify the symbol. Depending on the symbol type, you can adjust the symbol's size, color, transparency, and line or border thickness.
- If the layer is rendered using a class breaks or unique value renderer, repeat steps 2–5 for all the class breaks or unique values that you want to specify.
Once you select or modify a symbol, the applicable features on the map are updated with the new symbology.