Installation and setup
Start here to download, install, and set up ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF. You can install multiple versions (1.0, 10.1.1, and so on) of the SDK on the same machine. You can also install the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF on the same machine as other ArcGIS Runtime SDKs.
- Download and extract the SDK or insert the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF media. For download and extraction instructions, see the online quick start topic. If you have no access or limited access to the Internet in your organization and cannot view the quick start topic, you may be eligible to use the Esri Customer Care site to request that backup media be sent to you.
- Make sure the machine you want to use as your development machine meets the system requirements. For late-breaking release information, see the online version of Release notes.
You must install your IDE (Microsoft Visual Studio or Expression Blend) before installing this SDK.
- Double-click the Setup.exe file at the top level of the media or of the extracted files you downloaded in step 1 to start the installation wizard.
The ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF installation wizard appears.
- Click Next.
- Follow the on-screen instructions. In the Select Features panel, you can change the default installation directory by clicking the Change button, then navigating to the directory you want. Make sure this directory is on your development machine. You must have write permissions to this directory. Ensure no other users are using the directory.
- On the Select Features panel, if you want ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF to be integrated with Expression Blend and/or Visual Studio, select the IDE Integration feature.
- On the last panel of the wizard, click Finish.
The ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF is installed and the Software Authorization Wizard displays. Now you are ready to authorize your development machine. After you've authorized your development machine, perform the setup steps that follow.
Setup steps if you're using Visual Studio
- In the Visual Studio main menu, create a WPF application project by clicking File > New > Project .
- In the New Project dialog box, in the left pane, navigate to Visual C# > Windows > ArcGIS > Runtime SDK 10.1.1 for WPF or Other Languages > Visual Basic > Windows > ArcGIS > Runtime SDK 10.1.1 for WPF.
- In the middle pane, double-click ArcGIS Runtime SDK 10.1.1 for WPF Application.
Now you are ready to open a WPF Window in XAML view and add code to work with local and online service layers. For details, see Getting started with Visual Studio and ArcGIS Runtime.
Setup steps if you're using Expression Blend
The following steps describe how to open the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF application project template, which contains the library references you need.
- Open Expression Blend.
- Click File > New > Project.
The New Project dialog box appears with the list of installed templates.
- Navigate to WPF > ArcGIS.
The ArcGIS Runtime SDK 10.1.1 for WPF Application template displays in the main area of the dialog box, as shown in the following image.
- Click the Language drop-down menu and click either Visual C# or Visual Basic, then click OK.
Now you are ready to use the template to jump-start your development work. For details, see Getting started with Expression Blend and ArcGIS Runtime.