ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF
ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF enables developers to build rich, highly functional GIS applications that take full advantage of the Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) platform, yet the applications can have a small footprint.
In a connected scenario, the application can consume content and services from ArcGIS for Server, or ArcGIS Online (including hosted services available as part of an ArcGIS Online subscription), and Portal for ArcGIS. In a disconnected scenario (your users don't have a network or Internet connection), you can provision their devices with local packages containing GIS resources, such as maps, data, and geoprocessing tools, so that users can work while disconnected. Spatial analysis, geocoding, routing, and editing can all be performed against the local packages. Your application can have both online and local content and capabilities.
The ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF allows for modular deployment; you select the subset of runtime components necessary to support the GIS functionality you have chosen to include with your application.
What can you do with the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF?
The ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF enables you to:
- Create focused applications with small memory and disk-space footprints. You select the capabilities you want, from simple map view/navigation to geoprocessing.
- Build touch-screen applications for platforms such as tablets and in-vehicle mounted devices.
- Develop location-aware applications, such as applications that use coordinates from a GPS to display your location.
- Use asynchronous programming to create high-performing applications
- Display your data on an ArcGIS Online or a Bing Maps base map
- Develop and deploy side-by-side and on 64-bit operating systems
- Develop applications that:
- Perform 2D visualization and analysis and 3D analysis
- Let users interactively add graphics and markup to a map
- Search for features or attributes in your GIS data and display the results
- Execute a geoprocessing model and display the results
- Locate addresses and display the results
- Calculate routes and display graphical results and directions
- Edit feature geometry and attributes
What is included in the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF ?
When you install ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF, the following are installed:
- A rich .NET Framework 4.0 Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF)
- The API comprises multiple assemblies which will automatically appear in the add references dialog in your IDE.
- ArcGIS Runtime components. By default, it installs to the arcgisruntime<version> folder. For example, on 64-bit it installs to C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS SDKs\WPF10.2.5\arcgisruntime10.2.5.
The following items also come with the SDK but are options you can turn off in the installation wizard:
- An interactive sample application you can access at Start > Programs > ArcGIS > Runtime SDK 10.2.5 for WPF > ArcGIS Runtime WPF Samples 10.2.5 on Windows 7 or on Windows 8 simply search for 'wpf samples' from the Start screen.
- Project templates in C# and Visual Basic for:
- Visual Studio 2010
- Expression Blend 4
- Visual Studio 2012
- Blend for Visual Studio
- Visual Studio 2013
- Blend for Visual Studio 2013
- Note:- Development is also supported within Visual Studio 2010 Express, Visual Studio Express 2012 and Visual Studio Express 2013.
- A user interface toolkit which includes a set of components to
assist in rapid application development. The library a number of controls including:
- Conceptual and API reference documentation you can access from within Visual Studio after installation. To view it online before installation, click one of the following links:
- If you're new to WPF programming, see the getting started section on the Microsoft WPF website.
- If you're new to ArcGIS, see the ArcGIS documentation.
- To begin building your ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF application, see the installing topic. If you've already installed and set up the SDK, see the getting started.