Adding a part to a multipart feature
You can resume digitizing the shape of an existing feature by using the Continue Feature tool. This allows you to add a new part to a feature to create a multipart feature. This tool works with polygons, lines, and multipoint features.
- Click the Edit tool on the Editor toolbar and double-click the feature you want to edit.
- Click the Continue Feature tool on the Edit Vertices toolbar.
- If you are creating polygons or multipoint features, simply sketch the shape of the new part. If you are creating lines or want to add more parts to a polygon, right-click, click Finish Part, then continue digitizing the parts. You can also hold down the SHIFT key and double-click the last vertex as a shortcut to finishing the part.
- To change the shape of the sketch segment, click a construction method type on the Editor toolbar or on the Feature Construction mini toolbar. Segments can be created using a variety of methods—for example, as straight lines, with curves, or traced from the shapes of other features. You can also use keyboard shortcuts or right-click to access a menu of commands to help you place vertices in the sketch.
- Right-click anywhere on the map and click Finish Sketch.
The Edit Vertices toolbar appears. If it does not, click Customize, point to Toolbars, then click Edit Vertices.