Upgrading the production database (Production Mapping)
The Upgrade Production Database command adds all the components necessary for your geodatabase to perform as a production database. This command is activated if there was an upgrade on the schema and your database is missing tables. It shows an Out of date message and is disabled.
If you are upgrading an ArcSDE geodatabase, you can only perform the upgrade if you connect as the schema owner for the workspace.
The upgrade process needs an exclusive schema lock on all tables, so only one person can be connected to it. If someone else is trying to edit the tables, such as changing the associated data model versions, there will be conflicting schema locks.
- Start ArcMap.
If necessary, open the Product Library window by clicking Customize > Production > Product Library on the main menu.
A tree view of the product library appears.
- If necessary, define the product library workspace.
- If necessary, add data from the production database if you don't already have it loaded.
- If necessary, expand Production Data.
- Right-click the database and click Upgrade Production Database.
The Upgrade Production Database Workspace dialog box appears.
- Click the drop-down arrow in the Select Configuration Keyword area and choose an option.
Options may vary based on whether the database is a personal, file, or ArcSDE geodatabase. For an ArcSDE geodatabase, you can choose DEFAULTS unless you have configured a different ArcSDE configuration keyword.
- DEFAULTS—Stores data up to 1 TB in size; text is stored in UTF8 format.
- TEXT_UTF16—Stores data up to 1 TB in size; text is stored in UTF16 format.
- MAX_FILE_SIZE_4GB—Limits data size to 4 GB; text is stored in UTF8 format.
- MAX_FILE_SIZE_256TB—Stores data up to 256 TB in size; text is stored in UTF8 format.
- Click OK.
The Upgrading Production Database Workspace dialog box appears with the progress.
- Click OK when the process completes.
If the production database supports at least one of the Esri Mapping and Charting solutions, it upgrades the tables that are part of the extension listed in the ToolTip. The production database will also display (Missing Extensions) next to Production Data if the production database supports an Esri Mapping and Charting solution that is not installed.
For non-ArcGIS for Maritime: Charting product libraries with a workspace schema prior to 10.1, the upgrade tool will create Maritime Charting component tables by default to enable Maritime Charting support in the product library workspace. For product libraries with a 10.1 or newer workspace schema, the upgrade tool will upgrade these tables only if the Maritime Charting extension is already being supported by the product library workspace.