Loading feature templates from a view (Production Mapping)
After feature templates have been saved in a view, you can use them in another map document by loading them from the view. The view overwrites the current feature layer templates in the map and makes any stored templates available for use. This can be used to work with new templates that have been created for a product specification. For example, if you have added new templates to represent buildings and roads that are under construction, other members of the organization can use these templates to create new features when they load the view.
When applying the view from the Manage Features window, only the feature templates for the layers currently in the map are applied. If you want all the layers in the view to be added, you can apply the view using the Apply View tool on the Production Symbology toolbar.
The name of the layers stored in the view must match the names of the layers in the table of contents for the templates to be applied.
- Start ArcMap.
- If necessary, load data in the map.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing.
Click the Production Start Editing button on the Production Editing toolbar.
The Manage Features and Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes windows automatically appear when you start an edit session using the Production Start Editing tool.Tip:
If the Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes window does not appear when you start an edit session, click the Show/Hide Attributes button on the Manage Features window.
- Click the Create tab on the Manage Features window.
- Right-click the Create tab on the Manage Features window, then click Select Views Workspace.
The View Properties dialog box appears.
- Click the View Table Location drop-down arrow and browse to the database that contains the views you want to load.
- Click OK.
- Right-click the Create tab on the Manage Features window, point to Load Templates From View, then click the name of the view you want to load.
The templates in the view appear on the Create tab.Tip:
Feature templates are automatically validated when they are loaded. To disable template validation, uncheck the Validate templates on load check box on the Editing pane on the Production Properties dialog box.