To rename, remove, and change the order of layers in a web map, follow the steps below.
- Verify that you are logged in if you want to save the changes to a map you own or save a copy of a map owned by somebody else.
- Open the map in the ArcGIS.com map viewer.
- Click the Details button.
- Click the Contents button.
- To rename a layer, click the arrow to the right of the layer name.
- Click Rename.
- Enter a new layer name.
- Click OK.
- To remove a layer, click the arrow to the right of the layer name and click Remove.
- To change the order of a layer within the map, click the arrow to the right of the layer name and click Move up or Move down.Note:
Layers are always displayed on top of a basemap, and feature layers are always displayed on top of tileset layers (map, image, and tiled map services). Depending on the type of layers you have in your map, you may not be able to move them all up or down. For example, if you have one map service layer and three feature layers, you can reorder the feature layers, but you cannot move the map service layer on top of them. You cannot reorder a KML layer or a basemap.
- Click Save to save your changes to the map. See Saving web maps for more information.