What's new in the Data Management toolbox
New and improved tools for the Data Management toolbox at 10.1.
- Attachments toolset—This new toolset contains five new tools for enabling, disabling, adding, and removing attachments from a geodatabase table or feature class.
- Distributed Geodatabase toolset—This toolset contains two new tools for working with XML workspace documents.
- Fields toolset—This toolset contains two new tools for managing editor tracking: Disable Editor Tracking and Enable Editor Tracking. There is also a new tool to add a database-maintained identifier column on a database table: Add Incrementing ID Field.
- File Geodatabase toolset—The Compact tool was moved to this toolset from the Database toolset.
- Geodatabase Administration toolset—This toolset was named the Database toolset in previous releases. This toolset contains seven new tools to manage geodatabases. A few of these tools also work on databases. The Clear Workspace Cache tool was moved to the Workspace toolset. The Compact tool was moved to the File Geodatabase toolset.
- Geometric Network toolset—This new toolset contains tools for creating geometric networks, adding and removing connectivity rules, and tracing the network.
- LAS Dataset toolset—This new toolset contains tools for creating and managing LAS datasets. The LAS dataset is a new data type designed to provide rapid visualization and analysis on airborne lidar data in the LAS format.
- Layers and Table Views toolset—This toolset contains new tools for creating Query Layers and LAS Dataset Layers.
- Package toolset—This toolset contains new tools for consolidating and packaging geoprocessing results and locators, as well as tool for creating map tile packages.
- Photos toolset—This new toolset contains tools for matching digital photo files to table records (such as GPS points) based on a timestamp, and creating new point feature classes from the coordinate information stored in GPS-enabled or geotagged digital photos.
- Workspace Toolset–This toolset contains two new tools (Create Spatial Type and Create Database Connection) as well as one tool (Clear Workspace Cache) that was in the Database toolset at the prior ArcGIS release.
Adds file attachments to the records of a geodatabase feature class or table. The attachments are stored internally in the geodatabase in a separate attachment table that maintains linkage to the target dataset. Attachments are added to the target dataset using a match table that dictates for each input record (or an attribute group of records) the path to a file to add as an attachment to that record.
Disables attachments on a geodatabase feature class or table. Deletes the attachment relationship class and attachment table.
Enables attachments on a geodatabase feature class or table. Creates the necessary attachment relationship class and attachment table that will internally store attachment files.
|Generate Attachment Match Table|
ArcGIS geoprocessing tool that creates a match table to be used with the Add Attachments and Remove Attachment tools.
Removes attachments from geodatabase feature class or table records. Since attachments are not actually stored in the input dataset, no changes will be made to that feature class or table, but rather to the related geodatabase table that stores the attachments and maintains linkage with the input dataset. A match table is used to identify which input records (or attribute groups of records) will have attachments removed.
|Add Incrementing ID Field|
The Add Incrementing ID Field tool adds a database-maintained ID field to an existing table or feature class in an IBM DB2, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, or PostgreSQL database. This type of field is required on all feature classes or tables you plan to edit through a feature service.
|Disable Editor Tracking|
Disables editor tracking on a feature class, table, mosaic dataset, or raster catalog.
|Enable Editor Tracking|
Enables editor tracking for a feature class, table, mosaic dataset, or raster catalog.
|Export XML Workspace Document|
Creates a readable XML document of the geodatabase contents.
|Import XML Workspace Document|
Imports the contents of an XML workspace document into an existing geodatabase.
|Geodatabase Administration toolset||Analyze Datasets|
Updates database statistics of base tables, delta tables, and archive tables, along with the statistics on those tables' indexes. This tool is used in enterprise geodatabases to help get optimal performance from the RDBMS's query optimizer. Stale statistics can lead to poor geodatabase performance.
|Create Database User|
The Create Database User tool creates a database user with privileges sufficient to create data in the database.
|Create Enterprise Geodatabase|
The Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool creates a database, storage locations, and a database user to be used as the geodatabase administrator and owner of the geodatabase depending on the database management system (DBMS) used. It grants the geodatabase administrator privileges required to create a geodatabase, then creates a geodatabase in the database.
The Create Role tool creates a database role and lets you add users to or remove users from the role.
|Enable Enterprise Geodatabase|
The Enable Enterprise Geodatabase tool creates geodatabase system tables, stored procedures, functions, and types in an existing enterprise database, thereby enabling geodatabase functionality in the database.
Updates indexes of datasets and system tables stored in an enterprise geodatabase. This tool is used in enterprise geodatabases to rebuild existing attribute or spatial indexes. Out-of-date indexes can lead to poor geodatabase performance.
Upgrades the schema of a mosaic dataset, network dataset, or parcel fabric to the current ArcGIS release. Upgrading the dataset allows the dataset to make use of new functionality available in the current software release.
|Geometric Network toolset||Add Edge-Edge Connectivity Rule to Geometric Network|
Adds an edge-edge connectivity rule to a geometric network.
|Add Edge-Junction Connectivity Rule to Geometric Network|
Adds an edge-junction connectivity rule to a geometric network.
|Create Geometric Network|
Creates a geometric network in a geodatabase using the specified feature classes, role for each feature class, and the specified weights with weight associations.
|Remove Connectivity Rule From Geometric Network|
Removes a connectivity rule from the geometric network.
|Remove Empty Feature Class from Geometric Network|
Removes an empty feature class from a geometric network.
|Trace Geometric Network|
Solves the specified network analysis problem based on the flags, barriers, and specified weight properties.
|Set Flow Direction|
Sets the flow direction for a geometric network based on either the digitized direction or the source/sink settings in the geometric network.
|LAS Dataset toolset||Create LAS Dataset|
Creates a LAS dataset referencing one or more LAS files and optional surface constraint features.
|Add Files To LAS Dataset|
Adds references for one or more LAS files and surface constraint features to a LAS dataset.
|Remove Files From LAS Dataset|
Removes one or more LAS files and surface constraint features from a LAS dataset.
|LAS Dataset Statistics|
Calculates or updates statistics for a LAS dataset and generates an optional statistics report.
|LAS Point Statistics As Raster|
Creates a raster whose cell values reflect statistical information about measurements from LAS files referenced by a LAS dataset.
|Layers and Table Views toolset||Make Query Layer|
Creates a query layer from a DBMS table based on an input SQL select statement.
|Package toolset||Consolidate Result|
Consolidates one or more geoprocessing results into a specified output folder.
Packages one or more geoprocessing results, including all tools and input and output datasets, into a single compressed file (.gpk).
Consolidate a locator or composite locator by copying all locators into a single folder.
Package a locator or composite locator to create a single compressed .gcpk file.
Generates tiles from a map document and packages the tiles to create a single compressed .tpk file.
|Photos toolset||GeoTagged Photos To Points|
Creates points from the x-, y-, and z-coordinate information stored in geotagged photos. Optionally adds photo files to features in the output feature class as geodatabase attachments.
|Match Photos To Rows By Time|
Matches photo files to table or feature class rows according to the photo and row time stamps. The row with the time stamp closest to the capture time of a photo will be matched to that photo. Creates a new table containing the ObjectIDs from the input rows and their matching photo paths. Optionally adds matching photo files to the rows of the input table as geodatabase attachments.
|Topology toolset||Export Topology Errors|
Exports the errors from a geodatabase topology to the target geodatabase. All information associated with the errors and exceptions, such as the features referenced by the error or exception, are exported. Once they are exported, the feature classes can be accessed using any license level of ArcGIS. The feature classes can be used with the Select by Location dialog box or the Select Layer By Location tool and can be shared with other users who do not have access to the topology itself.
|Versions toolset||Reconcile Versions|
Reconciles a version or multiple versions against a target version.
|Create Versioned View|
Creates a versioned view on a table or feature class.
|Workspace_toolset||Create Database Connection|
Creates a connection file that can be used to connect to an enterprise database or ArcSDE geodatabase.
|Create Spatial Type|
The Create Spatial Type tool adds the ST_Geometry SQL type, subtypes, and functions to an Oracle or PostgreSQL database. This allows you to use the ST_Geometry SQL type to store geometries in a database that does not contain a geodatabase. This tool also can be used to upgrade an existing ST_Geometry installation in an Oracle or PostgreSQL database.
Prior to ArcGIS 10.1, database tables and feature classes had to be registered with ArcSDE using an ArcSDE command line utility before they could be registered with the geodatabase. Database tables and feature classes can now be registered with the geodatabase in one step.