Labeling using the River Placement style for line features
Rivers are special features that have many curves and tight bends that are not easily labeled without seeming cramped. The Maplex Label Engine's River Placement style will generalize the turns of a river and place the label following that smoother line. River labeling will also allow the label to be placed following more than one bend.
There are two placement positions for river features: Centered Curved and Offset Curved.
- Enable the Maplex Label Engine.
- Click the Label Manager button on the Labeling toolbar.
- Check the check box next to the layer you want to label.
- Choose a label class under the layer.
- Choose River Placement from the line label placement style drop-down list.
- Optionally, click Position, choose a different label placement position for your river features, then click OK.
- Click OK to close all dialog boxes.
The label position can change when you choose the River Placement style. This is because there are two placement positions for river features: Centered Curved and Offset Curved.