Offsetting line labels along a line
- Click the Label Manager button on the Labeling toolbar.
- Check the check box next to the layer you want to label.
- Choose a label class under the layer.
- Click the Properties button.
- Click the Label Position tab.
- Click Label Offset.
- Click the Position Label drop-down arrow and choose a position along the line where you want labels to be placed.
- Click the Measure To drop-down arrow and choose the position on the label to which the offset should be measured.
- Type the distance that the label should be offset along the line.
- Click the Units drop-down arrow and choose the units in which the distance should be measured.
- Optionally, type a distance up to which the label may vary from the offset distance you typed. A tolerance value of 0 indicates that the label must be placed at exactly the specified distance. Larger values allow the label to be moved along the line in case of conflicts.
- Optionally, check Use Line Direction. This uses the order of the coordinates in the line feature to identify the direction of the line. When this is unchecked, the leftmost end node of the line is considered the start of the line.
- Click OK to close all dialog boxes.
This distance is measured in map units or in page units (millimeters, inches, or points).
The parameters for Offset From Line are only available for offset line positions. You will not see them if you choose a centered line position.
You can also open the Placement Properties dialog box by clicking the Placement Properties button on the Labels tab of the Layer Properties dialog box for the layer you want to label.