Setting polygon label placement properties
There are three separate label placement options for polygon features. By default, labels are placed horizontally.
- Always horizontal—Labels are placed horizontally at the best position relative to the feature.
- Always straight—Each label is placed so that it follows the longest direction of the polygon being labeled. If straight placement of a label isn't possible, it may be placed horizontally.
- Try horizontal first, then straight—The first attempt is to place the label horizontally, and if this is not possible, straight placement is attempted.
You can also choose whether to place each label only if it falls completely inside the polygon feature being labeled by checking the Only place label inside polygon option.
- Open the Label Manager by clicking the Label Manager button on the Labeling toolbar.
- Click a label class in the Label Classes list.
- Click the placement options you want from the Placement Properties box.
- Click OK.
Optionally, click Properties to see the complete set of label placement properties.