As an Administrator of your organization, you determine whether Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is required for all transactions. As a security best practice, enforce SSL so that all communication in your portal is sent using HTTPS. Configure your portal and the web server hosting ArcGIS Web Adaptor to only allow communication through SSL.
Turning on this option can affect the performance of your portal. Also, if you have shortcuts or bookmarks to the portal website that uses HTTP, update them to use HTTPS.
This option also controls communication with external web content, for example, ArcGIS Server services, Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) services, and so on. When this option is turned on, Portal for ArcGIS will access external web content using SSL. If SSL is unavailable, external content is blocked.
Follow the steps below to enforce SSL for all communication in your portal.
- Log in to the portal website as an administrator and click the Edit Settings button.
- Click the Security link on the left side of the page.
- Check the Allow access to the portal through SSL only check box.
- Click Save to apply your change.
- Enforce SSL on the web server hosting the Web Adaptor. For more information, see Enabling SSL on your web server.