Welcome to ArcGIS Viewer for Flex
- A what-you-see-is-what-you-get (WYSIWYG) application that allows for ease and efficiency toward building web-mapping applications based on ArcGIS API for Flex.
- Ready-to-deploy GIS web client mapping application for ArcGIS Server. It is built with ArcGIS API for Flex.
- Easily configurable to meet custom business needs and requirements—no programming skills required to deploy.
- Viewer functionality is defined by widgets—many core widgets are included.
- New functionality can be created with custom widgets developed using ArcGIS API for Flex.
There are a couple of options nondevelopers can choose from when working with the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex application. The first option is ArcGIS Viewer for Flex Application Builder, which is a WYSIWYG application that allows easy creation and modification of ArcGIS Viewer for Flex web applications in a GUI-driven approach. In addition to this, another option is a ready-to-deploy configurable client application, commonly referred to throughout the help documentation as the compiled source version. Both of these options use the ArcGIS API for Flex and both provide a solution for creating customized GIS-enabled web-mapping applications that do not require programming experience. ArcGIS for Flex Application Builder allows for easy creation and configuration of web applications based off of ArcGIS API for Flex in a GUI-driven WYSIWYG interface, whereas the ready-to-deploy configurable client option provides customization support via modifying configuration (XML) files. Both options are designed to work with ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Online web services. It also supports all of the newest capabilities offered with ArcGIS 10.1 for Server.
With ArcGIS Viewer for Flex Application Builder or compiled source versions, users can quickly create and deploy a custom GIS web-mapping application that supports data display, interactive querying, web editing, data extraction, geocoding, and printing. Functionality in this application is based on an extensible widget programming model. Widgets are portable code blocks that provide functionality in a modular fashion; they can be easily added to or removed as needed. More widgets are included with ArcGIS Viewer for Flex. Additional widgets (and, therefore, new custom functionality) can be developed using ArcGIS API for Flex.
After downloading the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex Application Builder or compiled source versions (see Getting Started with ArcGIS Viewer for Flex), it is ready to be used. These ArcGIS Viewer for Flex applications enable users to easily set up, configure, and deploy a web client mapping application that works with their own ArcGIS Server web services and/or data content from ArcGIS Online. It also supports accessing published web maps from ArcGIS.com.
ArcGIS Viewer for Flex also enables users with developer skills to extend the core Viewer functionality by creating new widgets using ArcGIS API for Flex. Organizations and web application designers are able to quickly and easily deploy custom business solution applications.
Configure and customize
- You can configure the compiled and ready-to-use ArcGIS Viewer for Flex by changing colors and styles, specifying the map services to use, and which widgets to include.
- As a Flex developer, you can customize (extend) the viewer based on the source code for ArcGIS Viewer for Flex. See the Developer's Guide for more information.
To continue working in the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex, see the System requirements topic.