Set refresh interval
If your map includes a layer from the web, the information in that layer may be updated while the map is opened. For example, you might have a collector map with a damage assessment feature layer that field workers update every few minutes. Enabling a refresh interval on this damage layer helps your office team see the latest feature data from the field while keeping the map open in their browser, desktop, or device. You can enable a refresh interval between 6 seconds and one day on Esri map layers, basemaps, and layers from the web (except CSV on the web). See an example of map with a wind layer that gets refreshed every hour.
- Verify that you are logged in.
- Open the map with the web layer to which you want to add a refresh interval.
- Click the Details button.
- Click the Contents button.
- Browse to the layer where you want to set a refresh interval.
- Click the arrow to the right of the layer name.
- Click Refresh Interval.
- Check the box next to Refresh interval every 0.0 minutes.
- Enter the interval, in minutes, that you want the layer refreshed. The valid range is 0.1 (6 seconds) to 1440 (1 day).
- If you own the layer and want the refresh interval to apply to the layer whenever it appears in a map, click Save Layer.
- Click Save to save changes to the map.
You will see any updates that have been made to the data in this layer at the refresh interval you specified.
Considerations for refreshing a layer
- You can enable a refresh interval on the following types of layers: ArcGIS Server web service, hosted feature layer, hosted tile layer, OGC WMS, OGS WMTS, tile layer, GeoRSS, Esri map layers, basemaps (including Bing Maps basemaps), and KML when added to ArcGIS Online through the My Content page.
- When a layer is redrawn, the layer data is automatically refreshed and the refresh interval starts over. The layer data will refresh again after the specified reset interval has passed or the layer is redrawn, whichever comes first. Actions that redraw the layer depend on the type of layer:
- Features, map images, tiles, WMS, WMTS, and tile layer—pan, zoom, reload
- KML and GeoRSS—reload
- You cannot enable a refresh interval on CSV from the web, map notes, or a file you imported to the map (shapefile, CSV, GPX).
- Layers only refresh when they are within the visible scale range defined for that layer.