As a member of an organization, you can use the ArcGIS.com map viewer to get a set of turn-by-turn driving directions. Direction options include return to start and optimize the order. Once you get directions, you can zoom to the full route, print the directions, and perform analysis on the route. If you are a map author, you can add the route as a layer in your map.
Your administrator may have set the default units for the map, including directions. You can change the units you see by updating your profile.
- Verify that you are signed in with an organizational account.
- Open the ArcGIS.com map viewer.
- Click the Directions button to display the Directions panel to the left of the map.
- Get directions by adding the following information:
- Enter the origin in the A field .
- Enter the destination in the B field .
- To reorder the origin and destination, click the Reverse Directions button . The Reverse Directions button only appears if you have an origin and one destination.
- To add additional destinations, click the Add destination link and enter an address in the new field. You can also add destinations from pop-ups with location information such as points from feature layers and addresses and places you find with the geocoder at the top of the map viewer. Your route can have up to nine destinations (and an origin).
- To reorder a route with an origin and two or more destinations, click and drag the letter buttons (for example, ) in the order you want.
- If you have an origin and three or more destinations and want the map viewer to optimize your route, click the Show options link and check the box next to Optimize order. The middle destinations are optimized; the origin and final destination are not reordered.
- To create a round-trip route, click the Show options link and check the box next to Return to start.
- Click the Get Directions button to display text directions in the left panel of the map viewer and the route within the map.
Use your route
Once you get directions, you can print the directions, zoom to the full route, see a specific segment of the route, and add the route as a layer.
- To create a printer-friendly version of the turn-by-turn text directions, click the Print button within the Directions panel. Once you close the Directions pane, you cannot print the text directions for the route. Use the Print button at the top of the map viewer to print the route map (your map won't include driving directions).
- To zoom the map back to the full extent of the route, click the View Full Route link.
- To see a specific segment of the route, click the segment in the Directions pane. The map recenters on that segment and displays a pop-up with directions and an option to zoom to the segment.
- If you are an author, you can add the route as a layer in your map through the Add as Layer button. Once you've added the route layer, you can add additional routes by creating a new set of directions and adding that layer to your map. Each route appears as a layer in the Contents of your map. Be sure to save the map if you want to save the route layer or layers.
- If you are a publisher, once you've added the route as a layer to your map, you can perform analysis on the route layer.