Disable editing on a layer
As the owner of an editable feature layer, you can disable editing through the ArcGIS.com map viewer. Disabling is useful if you just want a read-only view of your features in this map.
When you disable an editable layer in the map, the setting is honored in the ArcGIS.com map viewer, apps created from the Edit template, ArcGIS for Windows Phone, and Collector for ArcGIS. To change the editor settings on the layer, you need to update the layer properties. For hosted feature layers, you modify the editor settings through the item details page on ArcGIS Online.
- Open the map in ArcGIS.com.
- Click the Details button.
- Click the Contents button.
- Browse to the feature layer for which you want to disable editing.
- Click the arrow to the right of the layer name and click Disable Editing.
- Click the arrow to the right of the layer name and click Enable Editing if you want the layer you previously disabled to support editing. You can only enable editing on a layer that already has editing enabled at the layer level.