Disabling editing on a layer
As the owner of an editable feature service, you can disable editing through the ArcGIS.com map viewer. This is useful if you just want a read-only view of your features in this map.
When you disable an editable layer in the web map, the setting is honored in the ArcGIS.com map viewer, apps created from the Edit template, ArcGIS for Windows Phone, and Collector for ArcGIS. To change the editor settings on the service, you need to update the service properties. For hosted feature services, you modify the editor settings through the item details page on ArcGIS Online.
To disable editing on a layer you own, follow the steps below.
- Open the map that contains the editable feature layer in ArcGIS.com.
- Click the Details button.
- Click the Contents button.
- Navigate to the feature layer for which you want to disable editing.
- Click the arrow to the right of the layer name and click Disable Editing.
- Click the arrow to the right of the layer name and click Enable Editing if you want the layer you previously disabled to support editing. You can only enable editing on a layer that already has editing enabled at the service level.