Adding items from the web
You can add ArcGIS Server services, KML, and OGC WMS. You can also add documents and images stored on the web. When you add an item from the web, you are referencing the REST endpoint (URL). The website does not store the item itself.
To add an item from the web, follow the steps below.
- Verify that you are signed in.
- Open My Content and click the Add Item button.
The Add Item window appears.
- Choose On the Web from the The item is options.
- Choose the type of item:
- Type the REST URL of the service or document, for example, http://myServer/map/wms/myService.
To find the REST URL of an ArcGIS Server service, open the Services Directory page, http://<server name>/<ArcGIS Server instance name>/rest/services (for example, http://myServer/ArcGIS/rest/services), and browse to the service you want to share. You can then copy the URL from the browser's address bar. Do not append any parameters, such as a token, to the URL.
- If you added a secured service, enter a user name and password for an account that has access to the service, and select whether or not you want the credentials stored with the service item. If the credentials are not stored with the item, you will be prompted for credentials every time you access the service. If the credentials are stored with the item, you will not be prompted for credentials.
- If you added an OGC WMS, choose the layers you want to be visible.
- Type a title.
- Type tags. Alternatively, you can click the Choose from your tags link to open the list of tags you've previously used, and
choose the tags you want to use for this item.
Tags are words or short phrases that describe your item. Separate terms with commas. Federal land is considered one tag, while Federal, land is considered two tags.
- Click the Add Item button.