Activating a subscription
Activating a subscription requires an account that will be part of an ArcGIS Online organization. See Getting started for more information.
The person who requested a subscription should have received an e-mail with an activation link from the ArcGIS Online Accounts team. The subscription must be activated by the person who will administer it. If necessary, have the e-mail forwarded to the appropriate person. Follow the steps below to activate a subscription:
- Open the e-mail from ArcGIS Online Accounts with the subject "Activating your ArcGIS Online Subscription" and click the activation link. The ArcGIS.com website Sign in page opens.
- If you are already using ArcGIS Online, sign in with your existing account. By signing in with your existing account, you will transfer ownership of your items to the organization. If you don't want to do this, sign up for a separate, new account.
- If you are new to ArcGIS Online and want to create a new account, click the Create a New Account button.
- Enter a user name that is between 6 and 24 characters in length and contains letters, numbers, or a combination of both. Special characters and spaces are not allowed. You can also use the following special characters: . (dot), _ (underscore), and @ (at sign). Other special characters and spaces are not allowed. Your user name is case sensitive.
- Enter a password that is between 4 and 28 characters in length and contains letters, numbers, or a combination of both. Special characters and spaces are not allowed. Your password is case sensitive.
- Click the Create My Account button.
- If you are new to ArcGIS Online and have an existing Esri Global Account you want to use, click Register your Esri Global Account.
- Enter your Esri Global Account user name and password exactly as you spelled it when you created your account. Your user name and password are case sensitive when registering with ArcGIS Online (and when signing in). For more information, see Account troubleshooting.
- Click the Register button.
- Enter a name for your organization. You can edit the name later if you want. For more information, see Configuring general settings for the website.
- Enter a short name for your organization. You may use between 1 and 16 characters and include letters, numbers, and hyphens (-). Special characters other than hyphens (-) and spaces are not allowed. The text is used to create your organization's URL. It is required and cannot be edited once you create it.
- Choose the default language for members of your organization. Language determines the user interface as well as the way time, date, and numerical values appear. Individual users can change the language through their profile page. You can change the default language for the organization later if you want. For a list of supported languages, see Setting languages and regions.
- Choose the region that will determine the default basemap gallery, the default basemap, and the default extent for new maps for your organization. You can also specify your organization's basemaps and extent by editing the appropriate settings in the Map link. You cannot change the regional setting once you save the page. For a list of supported regions, see Setting languages and regions.
- Select to allow access to the organization through SSL only. Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) ensures that your organization's data as well as any temporary identification tokens that allow access to your data are encrypted during communications over the Internet. Turning on SSL may affect the performance of the site. You can change this security setting later if you want. For more information, see Configuring security settings.
- Click Save and Continue.