Services from Esri
The broader ArcGIS REST API allows you to work with the ArcGIS platform, including ArcGIS Online. This section of the REST API focuses on using ArcGIS Online's ready-to-use services, consisting of the following types of services:
- Maps—With ready-to-use basemaps, reference layers, and so on, you can quickly add context or a backdrop to your local or worldwide data. Some ArcGIS Online maps are thematic, which may provide all the information you need to present in your application.
- Geocoding and place search—Provide text addresses, business names, and so on then find out where they are located. The service supports reversing the operation too: provide geographic locations and find out what their nearest addresses are.
- Directions and routing—Solve a variety of travel-related problems, such as simple point-to-point routing, complex fleet routing, and drive-time analysis.
- Demographic and lifestyle attributes—Supply locations and get information about the people, places, and businesses in or around the area.
- Spatial analysis—A variety of tasks are available for you to perform common GIS analyses. Many of these tasks, including Find Hot Spots and Summarize Nearby, have traditionally required in-depth study and expert knowledge to perform. The spatial analysis tasks—often consisting of a few parameters only—require little research to run, yet they provide sound results.