What's new in the ArcGIS REST API
The following updates and changes are effective at ArcGIS 10.5.
GeoAnalytics Tools are new at 10.5. See GeoAnalytics Tasks for details.
- Supports the following new parameters in export, identify, find and query operations.
- Map service root resources includes activeRangeName and rangeInfos when the map has ranges.
- Layer resources includes rangeInfos and parameterInfos when available.
- identify and find operations are enhanced with the following boolean flags to support returning unformatted values and field names when desired.
- Supports sql expressions in query operation's orderBy, groupByFieldsForOutStatistics and outStatistics. Check supportsSqlExpression on resources to find out whether the layer/table allows sql expressions.
Big Data Catalog Service
Big Data Catalog Service is a new service type introduced in ArcGIS Server 10.5. Web clients can browse this service to find information about datasets registered as a big data file share and use it as input to GeoAnalytics tasks.
Relational Catalog Service
A Relational Catalog Service allows web clients (e.g. Insights for ArcGIS) to browse the contents of a database for the purpose of querying and analyzing its contents. Before a Relational Catalog Service can be created, one or more relational data store types must be registered on an ArcGIS Server site that has been designated as a Portal for ArcGIS hosting server.
- Enhancements have been added for domain and subtype support including a new queryDomains operation and subtypes returned with the layer resource. A new parameter is also provided to have domains referenced by name rather than the full domain description with the layer resource. In addition, domains now include the merge policy and split policy.
- Enhancements have been added for supporting true curves with the Query (Feature Service), Query (Feature Service-Layer) and QueryRelatedRecords operations. Updating true curves with the Apply Edits (Feature Service-Layer) and Update Features operations is also supported.
- The layers resource now includes full information on all layers and tables. For example, http://services.myserver.com/arcgis/rest/services/USA/FeatureServer/layers?f=pjson returns JSON for all of the layers and tables in the feature service. Previously, only hosted feature services in ArcGIS online returned all information.
- Templates in the layer resource will include a thumbnail when published from a layer with a dictionary renderer.
- The Query (Feature Service) and Query (Feature Service-Layer) operations now include a sqlFormat parameter which defines the format of SQL provided in other parameters of the operation.
- For archive enabled data, the query operation on the layer and service resources as well as the queryRelatedRedords operation support a historicMoment parameter. Layers with the supportsQueryWithHistoricMoment property set to true support the historic moment parameter.
- Editing operations include a returnEditMoment parameter. The presence of the supportsQueryWithHistoricMoment property on the layer indicates that it is available.
- Services can now be configured with the Create capability only.
- For data with M values, a new option can be configured with the service which allows clients to apply geometry updates without M values.
- On premises feature services now support the Edit and FullControl privileges which are set on user roles within Portal for ArcGIS. These are accounted for when edits are attempted.
- Feature services created in Portal for ArcGIS on top of the spatiotemporal data store now support editing. These can be generated using the GeoEvent and GeoAnalytics extensions.
New GeocodingTools service
At 10.5, you can batch geocode big tables, CSV files, and Excel files using a new GeocodingTools service. This new service performs batch geocoding using any of your existing geocoding services. The service creates outputs as a hosted feature service or as file items in your portal.
See Batch Geocode for details.
At 10.5, Geometry service supports vertical transformations. The coordinate system of the height is called a Vertical Coordinate System (VCS), and it is a part of the Spatial Reference object. See Vertical coordinate systems for a list of vertical coordinate systems. The Geometry service Project operator now transforms height values (z-values). The FindTransformations operator will now search for horizontal/vertical transformations that can be used when projecting geometries with height values.
Globe services are deprecated at ArcGIS 10.5.
Enabling mobile data access is deprecated at ArcGIS 10.5.
The following updates and changes are effective at ArcGIS 10.4.
Spatial Analysis Tools
Spatial analysis tools are new at ArcGIS 10.4 for Server. See the ArcGIS for Developers website for details on these tools.
Vector Tile Service
Vector Tile Service is a newly supported service type that delivers rich cartographic content in a fast and efficient vector tile format
- The feature service applyEdits operation and the feature service layer applyEdits operation have a new option to allow you to apply edits while preserving the globalid values.
- Output format GeoJSON is now supported on the feature service layer query operation.
- Calculate and ValidateSQL operations have been added for feature service layers.
- The CreateReplica operation includes a new syncModel = none option.
- The CreateReplica operation has added an attachmentSyncDirection parameter.
- Support has been added to add / modify and drop indexes, relationship classes and domains to the feature service administration resource for hosted feature services in Portal for ArcGIS running with the ArcGIS Data Store.
The following updates and changes are effective at ArcGIS 10.3.1.
- The query operation supports resultOffset and resultRecordCount.
- The root resource returns the advancedQueryCapabilities property.
- The multidimensionalInfo resource supports the returnDimensionValues parameter. The resource returns three new dimension properties: hasRegularIntervals, interval, and intervalUnit.
- The exceededTransferLimit property is now included in the JSON response when paging through a query result with the resultOffset and resultRecordCount parameters. When exceededTransferLimit is true, it indicates there are more query results and you can continue to page through the results. When exceededTransferLimit is false, it indicates that you have reached the end of the query results. See Query (Map Service\Layer) and Query (Feature Service\Layer) for details.
- supportsStatistics supports Query Layers, for example, such as layers / tables defined by a SQL query from a database, geodatabase archived layer, and so on. See Layer / Table for details.
A scene service is a new type of ArcGIS Server web service originating from a 3D scene in ArcGIS Pro. Scene services allow you to share 3D content (via web scenes) to the web and your organization using ArcGIS.
The following updates and changes are effective at ArcGIS 10.3.
- The Suggest operation is new at 10.3. It provides auto-complete functionality for geocode services published from suggestion-enabled address locators.
- The Find Address Candidates operation supports the following new parameters: location, distance, magicKey, and category.
- The Reverse Geocode operation supports the new parameter langCode.
- The Geocode Addresses operation supports the new parameters sourceCountry and category.
- A circular arc, an elliptical arc, and a Bézier curve can be represented as a JSON curve object.
- The From GeoCoordinateString operation converts an array of well-known strings into xy-coordinates based on the conversion type and spatial reference supplied by the user.
- The To GeoCoordinateString operation converts an array of xy-coordinates into well-known strings based on the conversion type and spatial reference supplied by the user.
- The Project operation now accepts composite geographic transformations in JSON format and supports a full list of default transformations.
- The FindTransformations operation returns a list of applicable geographic transformations one should use when projecting geometries from the input spatial reference to the output spatial reference.
Image services support more raw data formats. HTML5 clients can decode pixel values and manipulate pixel data on canvas.
- The Export Image operation supports compressionTolerance, adjustAspectRatio and bip, bsq, lerc formats.
Image services support multidimensional data. The following REST API additions are related:
- The root resource now contains hasMultipledimensions.
- A new Multidimensional Info resource is supported. It contains multidimensional information of the image service.
- The Query (Image Service) operation supports multidimensionalDefinition parameter.
- The Mosaic Rules objects now support a new multidimensionalDefinition parameter. Refer to Multidimensional Definition for the syntax. All existing operations can work with multidimensional data through mosaic rule objects.
Image services support image coordinate systems. Spatial reference has been enhanced to represent Image coordinate systems. Existing operations that takes spatial reference as input parameters are enhanced to take image coordinate systems. The following new resources and operations are added on image services to work with image coordinate systems.
- A new Raster ICS resource is supported. It returns the image coordinate system of an image.
- A new Project (Image Service) operation is supported. It supports image coordinate systems in the input and output SR parameters.
- The root, Raster Attribute Table, Key Properties, Raster Key Properties resources now supports a new optional renderingRule parameter.
- The Get Samples operation supports outFields and interpolation parameter and has attributes in the response.
- The Raster Info resource returns histograms in the response.
- A new Raster Function Infos resource is supported. It contains more information than the rasterFunctionInfos in the root resource
- The following well known Raster functions are supported: ArgStatistics,Curvature,ElevationVoidFill,Recast,Resample,SegmentMeanShift,Classify,UnitConversion,VectorFieldRenderer,TransposeBits.
- When a query layer is added as a dynamic layer to a map service, the extent defaults to the full extent of the spatial reference provided in the request.
- Map Server Query supports true curves and pagination
- Map Service will return resampling:true|false, indicating whether clients should resample tiles for areas where tiles are unavailable. This property is not enabled by default; you can add it using the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory.
- The Stream service is a new service type available at 10.3.
- A new Refresh Service task is added to System/PublishingTools.
- Generate Token requests must be made over HTTPS and use POST. The username and password cannot be passed as query parameters in the URL. They must be passed in the body of the POST request.
The following updates and changes are effective at ArcGIS 10.2.2.
The following updates and changes are effective at ArcGIS 10.2.1.
- The findAddressCandidates method now supports the maxLocations parameter, which allows the maximum number of address candidates returned by a search to be specified in the request.
- The root resource now contains supportsStatistics, supportsAdvancedQueries.
- The query operation supports outStatistics, groupByFieldsForStatistics,orderByFields, returnDistinctValues.
- The following well known Raster functions are supported: Mask,Arithmetic,ContrastBrightness,ExtractBand,CompositeBand,MLClassify,Local,Threshold. Existing Statistics function supports a new syntax. The help document has been updated.
- In addition to well known functions, service defined raster function templates can be used in client defined raster function templates to perform multiple processings in one call.
- Export Tiles and Estimate Export Tile Size tasks are supported in services that allow download of tiles for offline use.
- Solving a route, service area, or closest facility analysis for a certain time, such as now, became easier with this release. When specifying departure or arrival times in previous versions of ArcGIS, the time was always assumed to be in the time zone of the starting or ending location (a stop, for instance). At ArcGIS 10.2.1, you have the option of continuing to use that approach or indicating the time zone is Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) by setting startTimeIsUTC in Solve Route or timeOfDayIsUTC in Solve Closest Facility or Solve Service Area to True.
The following updates and changes are effective at ArcGIS 10.2.
- Query operations on a Layer and Dynamic Layer now support specifying a gdbVersion parameter in conjunction with the outStatistics parameter.
- Layer and Dynamic layer now report a useStandardizedQueries property to indicate whether the layer supports standardized queries.
- The Renderer object supports two new optional properties: rotationType, which controls the origin and direction of rotation, and rotationExpression, which is a constant value or an expression that derives the angle of rotation based on the feature attribute value. When an attribute name is specified in rotationExpression, it's enclosed in square brackets, for example, [Rotation].
- Map Tile resource now supports a blankTile parameter, which allows clients to request the server to return a resource not found (HTTP 404) response instead of a blank or missing tile. When a blank or missing tile is returned, the response header will now include blank-tile:true.
- Map Service resource returns a new supportedExtensions property, which is a comma-separated list of extensions supported by the map service.
Layer (Feature Service) resource now reports a useStandardizedQueries property to indicate whether the layer supports standardized queries.
- A Get Samples operation is now supported.
- A Compute Class Statistics operation is now supported.
- A Compute Tie Points operation is now supported.
- A Legend (Image Service) resource is now supported.
- The raster catalog item Raster Info resource now includes statistics.
- The root resource now contains allowComputeTiePoints useStandardizedQueries and useStandardizedQueries.
- The Export Image operation supports a compression parameter and png32 format.
- Raster functions have been enhanced to support the outputPixelType parameter and client-defined raster function templates.
- Mosaic rules now take a new mosaic operation "MT_SUM", and an optional itemRenderingRule parameter.
- Image Tile resource now supports a blankTile parameter that allows clients to request the server to return a resource not found (HTTP 404) response instead of a blank or missing tile. When a blank or missing tile is returned, the response header will now include blank-tile:true.
At 10.1 SP1
The following updates and changes are effective at ArcGIS 10.1 SP1.
- Server Info resource now returns a owningSystemUrl property.
- Token service now supports Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS).
- Map Server Query operations support a new returnDistinctValues parameter.
- Map Server Query operations support a geometry parameter to be used in conjunction with the outStatistics parameter.
- Legend resource returns height and width of the legend symbol.
- All Layers/Table, Layer, and Dynamic Layer resources now include an ownershipBasedAccessControlForFeatures flag to indicate the ownership access control configuration.
- The Query - Feature Service operation supports spatialRel and time parameters.
- The Query - Feature Service operation supports a new JSON representation of the layerDefs parameter with the option to specify output fields.
- If ownership-based access control is enabled on features, the ownershipBasedAccessControlForFeatures property of a layer will include the allowOthersToQuery property.
GP Task resource now includes a description of the tool and its parameters.
Globe Tile resource is newly supported.
The following updates and changes are effective at ArcGIS 10.1.
- Map services now support the Dynamic Layer resource. Dynamic layers support query, queryRelatedRecords, and generateRenderer operations.
- Map services now support the WMTS resource for tiled map services. The WMTS resource supports WMTS Capabilities and WMTS Tile child resources.
- Export Map, Identify, Find operations and Legend and All Layers/Tables resources support a new dynamicLayers parameter.
- Map Service resource supports a new returnUpdates parameter that accepts a Boolean value. Pass this parameter to retrieve updated information from the map service.
- Map Service resource has new option and outSR input parameters to support the viewing of a map service footprint in arcgis.com map.
- Map Service resource now includes maxRecordCount, maxImageHeight, maxImageWidth, minScale, maxScale, hasVersionedData, and supportsDynamicLayers properties that indicate if a service supports dynamic layers; a tileServers property that advertises multiple subdomains on a map service endpoint; and a supportedQueryFormats property that indicates the supported query operation output formats.
- Map Service resource now includes new properties under timeInfo: timeRelation, defaultTimeInterval, defaultTimeIntervalUnits, and defaultTimeWindow and hasLiveData.hasLiveData that return a Boolean value. If true, the export and identify operations will default the value for the time parameter to be [<current server time - defaultTimeWindow>, <current server time>].
- Layer now supports a new generateRenderer operation. Use this operation to generate a class breaks or unique value renderer.
- Layer resource supports a new returnUpdates parameter that accepts a Boolean value. Pass this parameter to retrieve updated information from the layer.
- Layer resource now includes the maxRecordCount property, which represents the maximum number of records that can be returned by the find, identify, and query operations.
- Layer resource now includes the canModifyLayer property to indicate if a layer's renderer, data source, or join information can be modified.
- Layer resource now includes the supportsStatistics property to indicate if query operations support statistical functions and the supportsAdvancedQueries property to indicate if query operations support ordering the query result.
- Layer resource now includes hasLabels to indicate if the layer has labels defined on it, and canScaleSymbols to indicate if the layer symbology is scale dependent.
- Layer resource now includes supportedQueryFormats to indicate the output formats that are supported in a query.
- Layer resource now includes hasZ and hasM to indicate if the layer geometry contains Z and M values, respectively.
- Layer resource now includes isDataVersioned if the layer is versioned.
- Layer resource now includes hasLiveData, which returns a Boolean value. This value is true if the layer's data is updated frequently.
- Layer resource now includes effectiveMinScale and effectiveMaxScale, which represent the effective minimum and maximum scales at which the layer is visible.
- Layer resource now returns role, cardinality, keyField, composite, relationshipTableId, and keyFieldInRelationshipTable properties for relationships.
- The query operation on a Layer resource has three new parameters: orderByFields, outStatistics, and groupByFieldsForStatistics.
- The identify, find, query, queryRelatedRecords operations and feature resource accept two new parameters: returnZ and returnM to determine if the returned geometry would contain Z and M values respectively.
- The export, identify, find, query, queryRelatedRecords and generateRenderer operations and feature, attachment and html popup resources support the gdbVersion parameter. Use this parameter to specify an alternate geodatabase version.
- The identify, find, query, and queryRelatedRecords operations return an optional exceededTransferLimit property when the number of records returned by the operation exceeds the maximum number configured by the server administrator.
- TextSymbol has four new properties: text, borderLineSize, haloColor, and haloSize.
- The ClassBreaks renderer object has classificationMethod, normalizationField, normalizationType, normalizationTotal, defaultSymbol, backgroundFillSymbol, and classMinValue.
- The LabelClass object has a new whereproperty. Use this to determine the features that are labeled with the label class that defines it.
- The following new operations are now supported:Add Rasters, Update Raster, Delete Rasters, Measure, and Compute Histograms.
- Image Server resource supports the following child resources: Tile, Raster Attribute Table, Colormap, Histograms, Key Properties, and Uploads.
- Raster catalog item info supports the following child resources: Metadata, Thumbnail, Raster Info, and Key Properties.
- Image Service resource has a new input parameters option and outSR to support viewing of an image service footprint in arcgis.com map.
- Image Server resource now includes initialExtent, fullExtent, singleFusedMapCache, and tileInfo properties that indicate cache information of the service.
- Image Server resource now includes defaultMosaicMethod, mosaicOperator, defaultCompressionQuality, and defaultResamplingMethod properties that indicate service defaults. The default mosaic rule is composed of defaultMosaicMethod and mosaicOperator. When defaultMosaicMethod is esriMosaicAttribute, Image Server uses sortField and sortValue along with it.
- Image Server resource now includes allowRasterFunction, allowedMosaicMethods, maxRecordCount, maxImageHeight, maxImageWidth, maxDownloadImageCount, maxDownloadSizeLimit, and maxMosaicImageCount properties that indicate service constraints.
- Image Server resource now includes rasterFunctionInfosr, rasterTypeInfos, and mensurationCapabilities properties that indicate supported raster function templates (for exportimage), raster types (for add/update rasters), and mensuration capabilities (for mensuration).
- Image Server resource now includes hasHistograms, hasColormap, and hasRasterAttributeTable properties that indicate if a corresponding resource is available for the service.
- Image Server resource now includes capabilities properties that indicate supported operations.
- Image Server resource now includes editFieldsInfo and ownershipBasedAccessControlForRasters JSON objects containing editor tracking and access control related properties.
- Image Server Raster File resource supports a new rasterId parameter.
- Image Server Identify operation supports a few new parameters: time, renderingRule, returnGeometry, and returnCatalogItems.
- Image Server Export Image operation supports a new noDataInterpretation parameter.
- Image Server Export Image operation supports new well-known raster functions (Convolution, Remap, Clip, BandArithmetic, and Geometric) and customized raster function template in the renderingRule parameter.
- Image services now support WMTS resource for tiled image services. WMTS resource supports WMTS Capabilities and WMTS Tile child resources.
Network analysis services
Closest Facility operation now supports timeOfDay and timeOfDayUsage parameters.
Service Area operation now supports timeOfDay and useHierarchy parameters.
Network layer resource now includes hasZ and hasM properties to indicate if it is Z- or M-aware.
- Feature Service supports the following service level operations:Query, Apply Edits, Create Replica, Synchronize Replica, and Unregister Replica.
- Feature Service now supports the layer resource operation Generate Renderer.
- Feature service resource now includes maxRecordCount, hasVersionedData, allowGeometryUpdates, supportsDisconnectedEditing, and supportedQueryFormats properties.
- Feature service resource property capabilities now returns additional Create, Delete, Update, and Uploads capabilities.
- Feature service has new input parameters option and outSR to support viewing of a feature service footprint in arcgis.com map.
- In Layer resource fields have an additional nullable property.
- Layer resource now includes editFieldsInfo property about editor tracking fields.
- Layer resource now includes ownershipBasedAccessControlForFeatures property of a layer which includes allowOthersToUpdate and allowOthersToDelete properties.
- Layer resource now includes defaultVisibility, maxRecordCount, syncCanReturnChanges, isDataVersioned, supportsRollbackOnFailureParameter, supportedQueryFormats, hasZ, and hasM properties.
- Layer resource now returns role, cardinality, keyField, composite, relatedTableId, and keyFieldInRelatedTable properties for relationships.
- Feature service resource Query and Layer resource Query now support maxAllowableOffset, geometryPrecision, orderByFields,groupByFieldsForStatistics, outStatistics, gdbVersion, returnZ, and returnM parameters.
- Query Related Records now supports maxAllowableOffset, geometryPrecision, gdbVersion, returnZ, and returnM parameters.
- Apply Edits, Add Features, Update Features, Delete Features, Add Attachment, Update Attachment, and Delete Attachments operations now supportgdbVersion parameter.
- Apply Edits, Add Features, Update Features, Delete Features and Delete Attachments operations now support rollbackOnFailure parameter.
- Feature, Attachment Infos, Attachment and HTML Popup resources now support gdbVersion parameter.
- Feature resource now supports returnZ and returnM parameters.
- Feature service resource now includes the property enableZDefaults for a service configured with default Z values.
- Layer resource now includes effectiveMinScale and effectiveMaxScale, which represent the effective minimum and maximum scales at which the layer is visible.
- GP Service resource now includes maximumRecords and currentVersion properties.
- All GP Data types are now supported in a GPMultiValue.
- If a GP service is associated with a result map service, the GP Result can be accessed directly using the associated map service resource.
- Cancel GP Job operation is newly supported. This operation can be used to cancel an asynchronous GP job before it is completed.
- For GP Services that support uploads, you can specify an uploaded item as input to GPDataFile and GPRasterData.
- submitJob and execute operations and GP Result resource now support returnZ and returnM parameters.
- GPDataFile and GPRasterData now support input using itemID of an uploaded item.
- GPFeatureRecordSetLayer now returns hasZ and hasM properties if the feature geometry contains Z and M values.
- GPFeatureRecordSetLayer and GPRecordSet returns fields property for the fields in the response.
- Geocode Addresses operation is newly supported. This operation can be used to perform batch geocoding.
- Find Address Candidates operation supports a new searchExtent parameter.
- Geocode Service resource now returns the name of participating locators for geocode services published using a composite locator.
- Project operation now supports datum transformation using transformation and transformForward input parameters.
- Buffer operation now supports geodesic buffering.
- Areas and Lengths operation now supports a new calculationType parameter.
- Lengths operation now supports a new calculationType parameter. The geodesic parameter is deprecated.
- The following operation will call Simplify on the input geometries: Auto Complete, Buffer, Cut, Difference, Intersect, Label Points, Offset, Project, Relation, Reshape, and Union.
- The following operation call Simplify on the input geometry under specific conditions: Areas and Lengths, Densify, and Distance.
- Schematic Service is a service introduced at 10.1 for displaying, generating, updating, and laying out schematic diagrams.
- Export Web Map task is newly added at 10.1. This task is part of a pre-configured Printing tools GP Service.
- You can now view footprints of Map Service, Image Service, Feature service and folder resources in ArcGIS.com map by clicking on the View Footprint in ArcGIS.com link in the Services Directory.
- Server Info resource now returns shortLivedTokenValidity and fullVersion.
- geometry containing Z and M values are now supported. Also featureSet may contain hasZ and hasM properties to indicate if its geometry contains Z or M values.
- Spatial Reference Object defined using a well-known ID now includes an additional latestWkid property.
- Spatial Reference Object defined using a well-known ID can optionally include a definition of Vertical Coordinate System (VCS) using vcsWkid andlatestVcsWkid properties.
- Item Information, Thumbnail, and Metadata resources are now supported in Map Service, Geocode Service, GP Service, Geometry Service, Image Service, Globe Service, and Geodata Service.
- Uploads resource is now supported in GP Service, Image Service, Geodata Service, Feature service and Mobile Service. This is the parent resource for upload-related operations and resources.
- Uploads Info resource returns maxUploadFileSize property of a service.
- You can configure cross-origin access setting for ArcGIS Server using the allowedOrigins property in REST configuration file.
REST API Admin
- At 10.1 and later, the REST API administrative endpoint http://<host>:<port>/<instance>/arcgis/rest/admin is no longer supported. The REST Admin tasks are now supported in the ArcGIS Server's Admin API (http://<host>:<port>/<instance>/admin/system/handlers/rest).