World Geocoding Service
The World Geocoding Service finds addresses and places in all supported countries from a single endpoint. The service can find point locations of addresses, business names, and so on. The output points can be visualized on a map, inserted as stops for a route, or loaded as input for spatial analysis.
For a high-level introduction to the service that is not specific to the REST API, see the Esri World Geocoding Service features page.
Reading the API reference
To quickly get started using the service, you can do the following:
- Review the Geocoding coverage topic to determine whether the service covers your study area.
- Determine whether the operations you need are free or paid.
- If using paid operations, learn about authenticating requests.
- Read about the specific operation you need to use. Each topic in the Operations section describes what the operation does, its request URL, request parameters, and responses.
- The Reference section will help you understand more about service outputs and how to work with foreign-language field names.
The goal of the REST API reference is to provide you with the information you need to successfully interact with the service using HTTP requests. If it doesn't, feedback links are available on each page of the API reference.