Installing the SDK
This page describes how to install the Android SDK and set up your development environment for the first time.
Preparing your Development Computer
Before getting started with the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android, please confirm that your development computer meets the system requirements.
- Java Development Platfrom JDK
- Eclipse IDE 3.6.2+ (Helios)
- Google Android SDK 2.3.3 (API 10) or above
- Google ADT plugin for Eclipse
- Optional: Android powered phone, 2.3.3+
In order to work with the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android you must first setup an Android SDK developer environment. Please refere to the Android Installing the SDK doc before attempting to install the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android. We currently do not support setting up the ADT bundle.
Installing the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android Eclipse Plugin
ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android is a custom plugin for the Eclipse IDE designed to offer you a robust integrated environment to build ArcGIS Mapping applications for the Android platform. Once you have successfully set up your Android developer environment in Eclipse you can follow the steps below to add the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android to your developer environment:
Steps are for Eclipse Juno 4.2.1
- Download the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android
- Start Eclipse, then select Help > Install New Software....
- Click Add, in the top-right corner.
- In the Add Repository dialog that appears, enter "ArcGIS 4 Android Plugin" for the Name then click the Archive button and navigate to the .zip file that you downloaded.
- Click OK
- In the Available Software dialog, open up the 'ArcGIS for Android' category to see the items available. If 'Group items by category' is unchecked you will see the available items listed.
- Select the checkbox next to ArcGIS for Android Core and click Next. Addtionally, select the checkbox next to 'ArcGIS for Android Doc and Samples' to include the Android Samples and integrated Help system.
- In the next window, you'll see a list of the tools to be downloaded. Click Next.
- Read and accept the license agreements, then click Finish.
- When the installation completes, restart Eclipse.
Once your ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android is successfullly installed, you are ready to begin developing ArcGIS applications. Here are a few ways you can get started: