NOTE: The Authorization model for ArcGIS 10 has changed. Please see the detailed instructions below.
Authorization Instructions for ArcSDE
- Recommended: An Internet connection to complete the authorization steps below.
- If you do not have an Internet connection for the machine you intend to install the software on, you can authorize the software via e-mail or Web site.
- For SDE users on UNIX and Linux, to authorize the geodatabase when it is being created, include the –l option with the authorization file when you run the sdesetup –o install command. If you already created your geodatabase and need to authorize or reauthorize it, run the sdesetup command with the update_key operation. If you do not have the authorization file (*.ecp), go to the ArcSDE and ArcIMS Product Authorization Form to generate your Esri authorization file.
- Install your software.
- Select the Authorize option from the post-install.
- Select the default option ‘I have installed my software and need to authorize it.’ and click Next.
- Select ‘Authorize with Esri now using the Internet.’ and click Next. If you do not have an Internet connection, select the option ‘Authorize at Esri’s website or by email to receive your authorization file’.
- Enter your personal information and click Next.
- Enter your core product authorization number (ECPxxxxxxxxx) and click Next. This information is provided to you by Esri Customer Service by e-mail to the primary maintenance contact for your organization.
- Enter the authorization number for extensions, if applicable, and click Next.
- Click finish after the authorization process is complete.
Having trouble authorizing ArcGIS 10?
You must use the ArcGIS 10 authorization numbers received from Esri Customer Service via email as these are the only numbers that will authorize your ArcGIS 10 software. The authorization numbers are sent to the primary maintenance contact in your organization. The authorization numbers from previous releases will not work.
If you did not receive an automated e-mail from Esri Customer Service with your licensing codes, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your Name, Company, Customer Number, and Global Account ID, and they can help get them generated for you.
You must also use the correct authorization numbers for the product you are authorizing:
- Single-Use products use ESU numbers. An ESU number will be formatted similar to: ESU123456789, and will always contain the prefix ‘ESU’.
- Concurrent-Use products (ArcInfo (CU), ArcEditor (CU), ArcView (CU), ArcGIS Engine Runtime (CU), and ArcInfo Workstation) use EFL numbers. An EFL number will be formatted similar to EFL123456789 and will always contain the prefix ‘EFL’. When authorizing Concurrent-Use licenses on a license manager, you may enter a count that is equal to, or greater than, 1 and does not exceed the number of licenses you are entitled to. For example, if you have authorized 20 copies on your first attempt, and your maximum entitlement is for 100 copies, you cannot authorize more than 80 licenses on the second attempt.
- Server-related products must be authorized with ECP numbers.
If you are experiencing trouble with the Authorization process,or installing/configuring your software, please contact Esri Technical Support if you are in the US.